The Liverpool player “agrees to a two-year contract extension” as the decision to suspend Virgil van Dijk is made.

News Digest One of Liverpool’s first-team stars has agreed to a new deal, and Virgil van Dijk’s suspension has been given its final ruling.

Welcome to the daily Media Digest for It can be challenging to keep up with everything happening in the Anfield realm, from transfers to tweets. Here, we compile everything—credible, unbelievable, and everything in between—while providing a slant on the global media events of the day.

According to The Athletic, Kostas Tsimikas and Liverpool have struck an understanding in principle on a new contract that may keep him at Anfield until 2027.

Tsimikas’ prior contract was supposed to expire in 2025, but he will now sign a two-year extension.

Jürgen Klopp, the manager, was anxious to hold onto the 27-year-old, so he will view this as a success as he builds his defense for the foreseeable future.


Since Andy Robertson arrived from Olympiacos in 2020, Tsimikas has been Andy Robertson’s understudy and has only made one substitute appearance in the Reds’ first four games of the new season.


Tsimikas remains content with the club despite this and the chance to play first-XI games at a high level overseas, which is why negotiations have moved quite rapidly.

The Greek international has played 62 times for Klopp’s team overall and is best known for nailing the game-winning penalty against Chelsea in the FA Cup final in 2021–2022.


An extension of Virgil van Dijk’s Liverpool ban

Following the international break, Liverpool skipper Virgil van Dijk will not travel with the Reds to Wolves because of an additional suspension, according to BBC Sport.

Last month, during his team’s Premier League victory over Newcastle United, Van Dijk was dismissed for allegedly denying a clear chance to score by bringing down Alexander Isak.

Even while that alone only warranted a one-match ban, Van Dijk was also accused of using “abusive and insulting language towards a match official” during the incident.

The 32-year-old had the option to contest those accusations, but he chose to accept the lengthy suspension and a $125k (£100k/€116k) punishment instead.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.